KSCS is seeking an experienced Life Skills Support Worker with knowledge of mental illness and disabilities who has the ability to observe and recognize changes in clients and implement home management social skills.
Under the supervision of the Team Leader of Family Support and Resources Services, the Life Skills Support Worker is responsible to perform a variety of duties involving and/or assisting client(s) (children or adults) living with developmental delays and physical disabilities with a range of daily living activities.
Involves and/or assists clients with mental illnesses or developmental delays in a variety of daily living activities as outlined in the Individual Service Plans
- As outlined in the Individual Service Plan (ISP), involves and/or assists the client(s) (children/adults) with:
- therapeutic programming.
- personal and/or home care support.
- plan and coordinate outings including, but not limited to, educational, recreational and/or social outings and/or relaxation and daily exercise.
- structured support and guidance in the area of communication skills, social awareness and social integration.
- the necessary support for respite care.
- Occasionally, acts as a shadow to the client.
- Reports all incidents that may have occurred throughout the day to his/her Team Leader and in written format via a daily log book (if applicable).
- Attends team meetings concerning the clients, staff meetings and any other related meetings.
- Submits signed monthly timesheets and expense sheets to Team Leader.
- Certificate in Home Care and Family and Social Assistance Program, with two (2) years’ experience;
- High School Diploma plus any equivalent combination of education, training and experience – three (3) year-related work experience;
- Knowledge of mental illness and disabilities
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients
- Ability to implement home management social skills
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Valid First Aid, CPR, PDSB and Food Safe Certificate
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is a requirement
- Ability to deal with moderate to high stress
- Lifestyle must reflect that of a positive role model
- Knowledge of Kanien’keha.
- Candidates will be required to sign a Privacy Waiver allowing a security check to be performed.
- Successful applicants may be required to undergo psychological evaluation to determine suitability for position
- 35 hrs/week; must be willing to work flexible hours as necessary
- Moderate stress with some periods of high stress.
- Normal deadlines (planned).
Kahnawake Shakotiia'takehnhas Community Services
P. O. Box 1440
Kahnawake, Qc, J0L1B0